Home  /  CRT/COV/1


Photographs of stables and outbuildings associated with The Greyhound Inn at Hawkesbury Junction, Coventry Canal. Taken before restoration


44 colour prints showing stables, outbuildings and surroundings at Hawkesbury Junction, Coventry Canal. Also The Greyhound Inn and information boards on the canal



Reference code


Extent & medium

44 colour prints


The first junction at Hawkesbury was made in 1803 and in the 1830s the Oxford Canal was shortened and the Coventry Canal Company asked the Oxford to sanction a new wider junction at Hawkesbury. This was agreed subject to the protection of the latter's tolls; the present junction was made in 1836 and the connection bridged in 1837. In the early days of the two canals there were probably no buildings at what is now Hawkesbury Junction, but by the 1830s the Engine House, the Toll Offices of both companies, and what is now the Greyhound Inn, with some of its outbuildings, were all in use. The presence of the Toll Offices and the Inn resulted from the activity around the "stop locks" on both canals. The Inn, with its stables, was probably built to serve the increasingly regular overnight stops of barges at the locks and the local coal miners


    Submit your comment using this form...