Severn and Wye Joint Railway (under Great Western Railway Company and Midland Railway Company control)
Records of the Severn and Wye Joint Railway: plans of bridges and viaducts at Sharpness Docks 1869-1910, shunting and toll notices for Sharpness Docks 1904, dues and byelaws 1915.
These records are available immediately for research
The Severn and Wye and Severn Bridge Railway Company was jointly taken over by the Great Western Railway Company and the Midland Railway Company on 1 July 1894, under the Great Western and Midland railway companies (Severn and Wye and Severn Bridge Railway) Act of 17 August 1894. The move was prompted in part by the long periods of unrest in the Forest of Dean where strikes had severely disrupted the availability and price of coal. Many of the shareholders were becoming increasingly despondant about the future of the railway and, when called to vote, were unanimously in favour of the takeover. Midland Railway Company was amalgamated into London Midland and Scottish Railway from January 1923 and in 1947 Great Western Railway's Joint Committee (Severn and Wye and Severn Bridge Railway) was vested in the British Transport Commission.
It has not been possible to ascertain any original structure of record-keeping from the small number of records held for this company. The fonds has therefore been arranged in chronological order, except where records relate to each other, in which case they have been kept together, slightly altering the chronological sequence.
"Severn and Wye Joint Line. Sharpness Viaduct - Public Road Bridge over sidings at Sharpness Docks. G.W. and Mid. Joint Line - In Gloucestershire - Gloucester Division."