Bradford Canal Company Limited
Records of the Bradford Canal Company Limited: maps and plans of the canal, basins, wharves, warehouses and machinery 1870-1878.
These records are available immediately for research
After the closure of the Bradford Canal under the Company of Proprietors of the Bradford Navigation due to pollution and competition, the Bradford Canal Company Limited was created to reopen the canal for three miles in 1873 for quarry owners and stone merchants. The canal struggled to regenerate traffic and in 1878 an Act transferred ownership to the Leeds & Liverpool and Aire & Calder canal companies. For further information on the Bradford Canal see Edward Paget-Tomlinson's 'The Illustrated History of Canals & River Navigations' and Charles Hadfield's 'The Canals of Yorkshire and North East England'.
It has not been possible to ascertain any original structure of record-keeping from the small number of records held for this company. The fonds has therefore been arranged with plans of the canal placed first, then plans of basins, wharves and warehouses, with plans of machinery placed at the end. Within each of these areas, the plans have been arranged chronologically.
[See also: BW77, 79, 91 and 138 for records of Bradford Canal during other periods of ownership]
Ordnance Survey map showing Bradford Canal between Spinkswell Dye House and the Leeds and Bradford Railway Station
"Plan of property at Windhill in the township of Idle and Parish of Calverley belonging to Mr Samuel Dixon"
Plan showing proposed basin, roads and wharves near Zetland Mill, Broadbents Bridge and Messrs Rouse and Company
Plan showing proposed basin, roads and wharves near Zetland Mill and Messrs Rouse and Company's mill and reservoir