Trent Boat Pool Limited
Records of Trent Boat Pool Limited: Minutes 1942-1949, receipt book 1942-1949, Articles of Association 1942-1955, index to correspondence 1944-1945.
Trent Boat Pool Limited was set up in July 1942 as an amalgamation of four companies: the Trent Navigation Company; Direct Delivery Service Limited; Trent Carriers Limited; and H Oldridge & Son. The company was set up to promote and protect the business interests of the constituent companies, who were all trading on navigations served by the River Trent, Yorkshire Ouse, Hull and the Humber Estuary. The head office was in Nottingham. Although the Trent Navigation Company and Trent Carriers Limited had been placed under Ministry of War Transport control in early July 1942, this control did not extend to Trent Boat Pool Limited and it did no business as a separate company. The main function of the company was to offer practical assistance to the four shareholders working together. In January 1948 the principal shareholder, the Trent Navigation Company was nationalised, dramatically limiting the activity of Trent Boat Pool Limited. The company went into voluntary liquidation in 1951 and was wound up by the British Transport Commission in 1955.
It has not been possible to ascertain any original structure of record-keeping from the small number of records held for this company. The fonds has therefore been arranged in chronological order.