Tees Conservancy Commission
Records of the Tees Conservancy Commission: plan of the river 1921.
These records are available immediately for research
The Tees Conservancy and Stockton Dock Act received Royal Assent on 30 June 1852 and in November 1852 the responsibility for the administration and improvement of the River Tees and the building of a dock at Stockton was transferred to the Tees Conservancy Commission from the Tees Navigation Company (formed in 1808 and based in Stockton). The Tees Navigation Company had lacked the authority and finance to develop Tees ports further and the recommendation that the conservancy be placed in the hands of a public commission with a new scheme for improving the river resulted in the Tees Conservancy Commission (based in Middlesbrough from 1901). The progressive policies of the Commission were pivotal in the expansion of trade and the industrial resources of Teesside, including ship building. The 1920 Tees Conservancy Act enabled reclamation of Seal Sands. The 1946 Tees Conservancy Act gave general powers as the Harbour Authority and sanctioned the building , owning and operating of subsidiary works at Teesport. In 1966, the Tees Conservancy Commission became part of the new Tees and Hartlepool Port Authority under an Act of Parliament. The Tees and Hartlepool Port Authority became privatized in 1992. For more information on the River Tees see 'Introducing the Ports of Tees and Hartlepool: History', Commercial Department, PD Teesport Limited.
It has not been possible to ascertain any original structure of record-keeping from the small number of records held for this company. The fonds has therefore been arranged in chronological order.