The Lower Avon Navigation Trust Limited
Records of the Lower Avon Navigation Trust Limited: a notice for an AGM 1959-1960, chart of the navigation 1968, plans of landing stages 1969.
These records are available immediately for research
The Lower Avon runs from the River Severn at Tewkesbury to Evesham where it joins the Upper Avon Navigation. The Lower Avon passed into the ownership of the Perrott family of Craycombe, Fladbury who made improvements to it. The Worcester and Birmingham Canal leased the navigation from the family in 1830. From 1864 onwards the Lower Avon suffered railway competition. The second lease of the Worcester and Birmingham Canal expired and was not renewed. In 1924 William Fisher took over the canal and formed the Lower Avon Navigation Company. It was later transferred to John Whitehouse of Evesham and then to C D Barwell in 1949. The navigation was 28 1/4 miles long, with 7 pound locks taking craft 70 feet by 13 feet 6 inches, and 2 watergates. During the Second World War the river became unnavigable above Pershore, but grain traffic continued to Pershore until 1972. On 1 August 1950 the Lower Avon Navigation Trust was formed by local parties and the Inland Waterways Association to restore the river. The whole navigation was formally reopened on 10 June 1962.
It has not been possible to ascertain any original structure of record-keeping from the small number of records held for this company. The fonds has therefore been arranged in chronological order.