Cyril Arapoff photograph collection
Series of black and white photographs taken by Cyril Arapoff showing scenes on numerous waterways during the 1930s.
Cyril Arapoff (1898–1976) had a photographic studio in Headington from 1933 to 1938. Born Kyril Semeonovitch Arapov, he left Russia after the Revolution and spent time in Paris and Germany before coming to England, having learnt photography at the studio of Annelise Kretschmer in Dortmund. Arapoff’s mother was a governess to a Russian emigré family in Oxford, and Cyril came to stay with Captain V. Narishkin and his family at 3 St Andrew’s Road in Headington, and from 1933 his photographic studio was in this house. Arapoff then opened a studio at 19 Manor Road. He remained at this house until 1939. In 1939 Arapoff left Oxford and went to work in the film industry, including the Crown Film Unit; and from 1961 until his death in 1976 he worked for the National Coal Board Film Unit.