British Transport Commission: Humber Ports
Records of British Transport Commission: Humber Ports: records of the Chief Dock Manager's Office, Hull 1950.
These records are available immediately for research
The British Transport Commission was formed on 1 January 1948. It had five separately appointed executives of which the Docks and Inland Waterways Executive was one. The Docks and Inland Waterways Executive was subdivided into Inland Waterways and Docks, the latter of which was subdivided into four docks sections of which Humber Ports was one. The Humber Ports dock office was at Victoria Square, Hull and the manager was Mr S A Finnis. The chief engineer for Humber Ports, Mr W MacKenzie was shared with Middlesborough and Hartlepool Docks. The Transport Act of 1953 reorganised the British Transport Commission. The previous Docks and Inland Waterways Executive was reformed into British Transport Waterways and British Transport Docks, British Transport Docks retaining Humber Ports. Following the Transport Act of 1962 when the British Transport Commission was abolished, British Transport Docks was replaced by the British Transport Docks Board now Associated British Ports.
The Waterways Archive only holds records for the Chief Dock Manager's Office in Hull. The fonds has therefore been divided into one subfonds as this is how the records would have originally been kept. Due to the small number of records held for this company they have been arranged chronologically.