Trent (Burton-upon-Trent and Humber) Navigation Company
Records of the Trent (Burton-upon-Trent and Humber) Navigation Company: administrative and financial records 1887-1888, stock and shareholding records 1887-1948, papers kept by the company for information 1887-1892.
These records are available immediately for research
The Trent Navigation Company was supposed to be taken over by the Nottingham Corporation but this did not happen. In 1887 another Act formed the Trent (Burton-upon-Trent and Humber) Navigation Company who, with greater financial powers and the lease of the Newark Navigation for 99 years, went ahead with improvements. The Chairman was E M Hutton Riddell, a banker from Newark, and vice-chairman was J W Leavers. A further Act in 1892 granted capital powers and also changed the name of the company again, back to the Trent Navigation Company. For further information on the Trent Navigation see Edward Paget-Tomlinson's 'The Illustrated History of Canals & River Navigations' and Charles Hadfield's 'The Canals of the East Midlands'.
It has not been possible to ascertain the complete original structure of record-keeping from the records held for this company. The fonds has been arranged into three series by subject, which is how some of the records may have originally been kept. The company's administrative and financial records have been placed first, followed by stock and shareholding records then papers kept by the company for information. The records within these series have been arranged chronologically while keeping records relating to each other together. This means that some records may fall slightly out of the chronological sequence.
[See also: BW60, BW98, BW158 and BW160-161 for records of the Trent Navigation during other periods of ownership]