Company of Proprietors of the Birmingham and Birmingham and Fazeley Canal Navigations
Records of the Company of Proprietors of the Birmingham & Birmingham & Fazeley Canal Navigations: agreements 1786-1794, loading tickets 1790, book of reference 1792.
These records are available immediately for research
In 1784 the Birmingham & Fazeley Canal Company amalgamated with the Birmingham Canal Navigation company and the new company was named the Company of Proprietors of the Birmingham & Birmingham & Fazeley Canal Navigations. The Birmingham & Fazeley Canal was completed in 1789, connecting Birmingham with Fradley on the Trent and Mersey Canal in conjunction with the Coventry Canal. From 1794 the company was known as the Company of Proprietors of the Birmingham Canal Navigations (BCN). For further information on the Birmingham and Fazeley Canal see Edward Paget-Tomlinson's 'The Illustrated History of Canals & River Navigations'.
It has not been possible to ascertain any original structure of record-keeping from the small number of records held for this company. The fonds has therefore been arranged in chronological order.
[See also: BW165 for records of the Birmingham Canal Navigations]