The National Trust (South Midlands Area)
Records of The National Trust South Midlands Area: records relating to the Stratford-upon-Avon Canal 1964-1971.
These records are available immediately for research
In January 1895 The National Trust was founded by Octavia Hill, Sir Robert Hunter and Canon Hardwicke Rawnsley in response to the threat posed by industrialisation. The charity now maintains countryside, coastline and buildings in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, the majority of which are open to the public. The southern section of the Stratford-upon-Avon Canal was transfered to The National Trust in September 1960, and was officially re-opened in July 1964 after restoration work. British Waterways took it over in 1988. For more information on The National Trust, please see its official website https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main
It has not been possible to ascertain any original structure of record-keeping from the small number of records held for this company as there are only records for the Stratford-upon-Avon Canal. The fonds has therefore been arranged into a series entitled 'Stratford-upon-Avon Canal'.