Home  / 20022.0016
> >

20022.0016

Leeds, Seven Arches Aqueduct and conduit (Formerly Listed as: SCOTLAND WOOD, Meanwood Park Seven Arches Aqueduct and cast-iron culvert

Description

Aqueduct and water conduit over Adel Beck. Aqueduct c1840. By George Leather, engineer; built by Abraham and Mylne. For the Leeds Water Works Company. 'LEEDS CORPORATION/ WATER WORKS/ 1866'. Eccup reservoir was built in 1840 to supply clean water (the first alternative to the River Aire) to the centre of Leeds after the cholera epidemics of the 1830s. Improvements to the supplies included the installation of a new mains in 1866, still in use. It has a tenuous connection to our canals in that it was built by George Leather who was also engineer for the Aire & Calder for a time, and responsible for building the Stanley Ferry Aqueduct [https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1256089) ]

Date

c1906

Reference code

20022.0016

Creator

Copyright is with various sources

Administrative /‚Äč Biographical history

Collection of waterways images by enthusiast Michael Ware. Copyright is with various sources
image 20022_0016

Comments